The Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government has released more information regarding Business Rates and who is classed as eligible to receive the Expanded Retail Discount. It will be up to the local authorities to decide, however, the following are included in the guidance:

− Hair and beauty services (such as: hairdressers, nail bars, beauty salons, tanning shops, etc)

− Shoe repairs/key cutting

− Travel agents

− Ticket offices e.g. for theatre

− Dry cleaners

− Launderettes

− PC/TV/domestic appliance repair

− Funeral directors

− Photo processing

− Tool hire

− Car hire

− Restaurants

− Takeaways

− Sandwich shops

− Coffee shops

− Pubs

− Bars

– Hereditaments which are being used as cinemas

– Hereditaments that are being used as live music venues

− Sports grounds and clubs

− Museums and art galleries

− Nightclubs

− Sport and leisure facilities

− Stately homes and historic houses

− Theatres

− Tourist attractions

− Gyms

− Public halls

− Clubhouses, clubs and institutions

− Hotels, Guest and Boarding Houses

− Holiday homes

− Caravan parks and sites

For full details click here.


Business rates for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses

There will be a business rates holiday for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses for the 2020/2021 tax year. Businesses that received the retail discount in the 2019/2020 tax year will be rebilled by their local authority ASAP.

A £25,000 grant will be provided to retail, hospitality and leisure businesses operating from smaller premises, with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000.

Any enquiries on eligibility for, or provision of, the reliefs should be directed to the relevant local authority.

The government will provide additional funding for local authorities to support small businesses that already pay little or no business rates. This will provide a one-off grant of £10,000 to businesses currently eligible for SBRR or rural rate relief, to help meet their ongoing business costs.


All other Small Businesses

If your business is eligible for SBRR or rural rate relief, you will be contacted by your local authority. You do not need to apply.

Funding for the scheme will be provided to local authorities by government in early April.

As we find out more we will update this page.